Newhailes house is an astonishing relic, an almost totally unrestored stately home. It which was built originally in 1686, by the Scottish architect, James Smith. He initially trained to be a priest in Rome, but was so greatly inspired by the Venetian architecture surrounding him, and that he became an architect instead. This was probably a wise change in career, as he then went on to father 32 children during the course of his two marriages!!!
In 1702, James Smith had to sell his house, and in 1709, Sir David Dalrymple bought the house, and it remained with the Dalrymple family, until it was given to the National Trust for Scotland, in 1997.