Dome from the former neo-classical church, St George’s Parish Church, in Charlotte Square, Edinburgh. This magnificent building was constructed between 1811 and 1814. The architect, Robert Reid, re-interpreted the original design by Robert Adams (1791), and created a bolder Greek cross plan, but at a much greater cost. The original budget in 1791 was 5,000 guineas, but this spiralled to 24,000 guineas by 1814 (a guinea was valued at 21 shillings, or £1.05).
The building is now used as the Scottish National Records Office.